Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

Another RFID project from the Past

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012

When I first got my RFID implant, the first thing I wanted to do was to RFID enable my car but I wanted to do more than just unlock the doors.  I set out to create a 3 point immobilizer as well as control the central locking.  The cool thing with having an implant as your key is well, you can never lock your keys in your car!  With that in mind, this also has the ability to have ‘passive lock’ but this was something I never really perfected in the code. It works (selectable) but it was too procedural in that you have to unlock car, start, run, stop, open door, close door and then after 3 seconds it would lock automatically.  I tried it for a while but while somewhat cool, it had some annoyances so i disabled it again.

The project is based on a PIC16f681 and coded in PicBasic pro and uses the ID-12 chip from Innovations.  The setup cost for this is probably in the mark of $100+.  The code works fine as-is.  In fact this is the exact setup that is in my car now but if i had to do it again, I’d probably start with an Arduino Nano and work from there.  Things are just much easier in Arduino land than Microchip Pic.

Provided as is – I will not change this code but hey,  feel free to do it yourself. I might be able to offer some info but this was written in 2010 so it might as well be someone else’s code to me by now. There is a couple of  missing links in the PCB as seen by the link wires in the photo.

If you don’t have a Pic programmer, I recommend the RCD Programmer and PicProg4U

Downloads:  PicBasic Source, compiled HEX, Eagle PCB, Eagle Schematic

Racing sim update

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012
Some time ago I somewhat shelved the sim, mostly because I didn’t really have the room to keep it set up but also because I decided to re-work the wheel setup but it never really took off.  The idea was to make my own electric feeback wheel with an optical encoder, arduino and a big DC motor but I could not get it right.  The movement side of it was fine – I had the arduino reading the pulses and converting this into a joystick axis but it was the electric force where I could not get it right. Big DC motor, H-Bridge and PWM but I could not get enough force out if it that I was happy with.  I decided the best option was to buy a commercial wheel and use my pedals/shifter.
I ended up buying a Logitech G27.  I am very happy with the mechanics of the wheel and it’s force abilities but the pedals and shifter really let it down. I tried them but going back to a position type brake (over force like my pedals) just felt all wrong and while the shifter is ok, it just did not have that realism of my DIY aluminium H shifter.
I also removed the stock wheel from the G27 and replaced it with the one from my other setup and placed some button switches on the wheel to hook up in place of the stock ones.  This is a much better size and feel.  The only downside is the flappy paddles are now too short but I hardly ever use them. Maybe one day i will make up some longer ones.
I have re-worked my H shifter now too.  As well as replacing the H plate with a friendlier soft plastic (cutting board) instead of the aluminium I had before I have modded it to be able to swap to sequencial mode. This is great for RBR and other rally games but I also prefer it to paddles where it is harder to change gear while turning.
There is now an extra 2 switches mounted to the bottom of the H plate and a removable washer is screwed to the bottom of the shifter shaft.  This gives a little extra throw on the shaft to push the switches.  I also too advantage of the holes in the upper part of the shifter to insert some tube to restrict the movement forwards and backwards.  This restriction allows the shifter to return to center.  Another screw in one of the brackets supporting the shifter prevents sideways movement too.
Swapping from H to sequencial takes about 30 seconds and is very easy.

Sim Update – Shifter paddles and a better seat

Tuesday, June 29th, 2010

With the basics now sorted I’ve moved on to some more asthetic and convinience items for the sim.  I managed to pick up a seat from a local DIY car wrecker from a Suzuki Swift Gti for $28!  It’s got a couple of very minor rips but over all it’s in great condition and super comfy.

I’ve also recently added some F1 style shifter paddles to the wheel.  This enables easy use of cars that are only sequencial shifing in LFS.  It’s odd – a ‘H pattern’  gearbox based car can be driven as a sequencial but not the other way around.  I guess it’s because most commercial wheels do not have H shifting (or a clutch for that matter) so it keeps compatibility. I’m still considering what i can do to make an add-on for the H shifter to convert it easily to sequencial and back again but it’s less important now and it would only be for realism.

The paddles are constructed very simply. The orangy brown stuff is a silicone rubber.  The bolts support the flaps on the main bolts and give it a spring effect.  The gap between the microswitch and the paddle is only a couple of mm and it works really well.  The original design for the paddles were a little short and were not easy enough to reach so i extended them with another bit of aluninium rather than make new ones – hence the addition of the second set of bolts.